Log in to the Telecom router
change WiFi Telecom password you must log in to the administration panel of the router that the operator gave you. If you don't know how to do it, fear not, it is an extremely simple operation.
All you have to do is open your favorite navigation program (ex. Chrome, Safari o Microsoft Edge) and connect to http: // alicegate. If you use a fiber optic connection and not a common ADSL, the address you must use is http: // modemtelecom.
In the unfortunate event that you cannot reach the router panel with any of the addresses just mentioned, try typing the IP address of the device directly: it should be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.
Still nothing? Strange. At this point, the wisest thing you can do is go into the network settings and check the router's IP address from there.
- Se two un PC Windows - click on your button Home, search for Panel of control in the menu that opens and choose the first occurrence from the results. When the Windows Classic Control Panel opens, go to Rete and Internet, Then network and sharing center and choose the connection in use (eg. Ethernet o Wi-Fi). Then click the button Details and you will find the IP address of your router next to the entry IPv4 default gateway.
- If you are using a Mac - you open System preference (the gear icon located in the Dock bar), click on Network and select the name of the connection in use (eg. Wi-Fi) from the window that opens. Then click on the button Advanced, select the scheda TCP / IP and you will find the router address listed next to the entry Router.
Well, now open your favorite browser, connect to the address you found in the PC network settings and you should finally be able to enter the administration panel of the Telecom router (or rather TIM).
Note: if you cannot find the IP address of the router or the browser still cannot open the device management page, connect the router to the PC via Ethernet cable and repeat the operation.
Change WiFi router Telecom password
On the first page of the router administration panel you will be asked to enter a password: this is not the password of the Wi-Fi network, but the password that prevents unauthorized access to the device configuration menu. If this is the first time you have changed the router settings, click on the button Log in and you will be asked to configure a new password to protect the device from unauthorized access. Set a reasonably secure one by typing it in the fields Set password e Repeat the password, and pin it in a secret place so you can retrieve it in case of need. I personally recommend that you use one of the password managers that I recommended in my tutorial on how to manage passwords.
If clicking on the button Log in can't move on, try typing a default username and password combination, such as admin / admin o admin / password. If in the past you had set a custom username and password combination for the router and you don't remember it, reset the device.
To reset the router, take a pointed object (e.g. a pencil) and hold down the reset button which is on the back of the router for about 30 seconds. The reset of the device will be signaled by turning off and on again all the LEDs present in the device. If any step is not clear to you, find out in more detail how to reset Telecom modem by reading my guide dedicated to the subject.
Now the procedure you need to follow varies slightly depending on the model of router you have.
- If you have a Sercomm - select the tab WiFi located at the top right, select the network to which to change the password (2.4GHz o 5GHz), go to its menu of configuration and click on the button Edit key. Then type the new key to use for the wireless network in the module that opens and presses the button Save to complete the operation. If you have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks active, please change the password for both.
- If you have a Technicolor Smart Modem - select the network whose password you want to change (2.4GHz o 5GHz) from the box Wi-Fi located at the bottom left, type the encryption key to use for the network in the appropriate text field and click on the button OK to save the changes. Change both the 2.4GHz network password and the 5GHz network password.
- If you have the Telecom Fibra modem - click on Basic Settings and then on the voice Wi-Fi present in the left sidebar. Then select the item 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi o Wi-Fi 5GHz from the side menu (to change the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network settings), click on the tab Configure Wi-Fi and set the Encryption mode and Encryption key (i.e. password) you prefer. To save the changes click on the button Save.
- If you have an ADSL2 + Wi-Fi N (Standard or Technicolor) - click on your button Wi-Fi present in the left sidebar, scroll to the bottom of the page that opens and click on the button Configure Wi-Fi Network. At this point, type the encryption key to use for your wireless network, choose an encryption mode from the appropriate drop-down menu and click on Save / Next per salvare i Cambiomenti.
- If you have an ADSL2 + Wi-Fi N DA2210 - click on Basic Settings and then on the voice Wi-Fi present in the left sidebar. Then go up Main Wi-Fi (still in the left sidebar), select the tab Configure Wi-Fi and set the Encryption mode and Encryption key (i.e. password) you prefer. To save the changes click on the button Save.
- If you have an Alice Gate VoIP 2 plus Wi-Fi - unfortunately you can't change WiFi Telecom password, you can only use the encryption key associated with the card inserted in the device.
Your wireless network password must be 24-32 characters long and must be difficult to guess, so it doesn't have to make sense and must consist of various types of characters (lowercase, uppercase and numbers). As for the encryption mode, I recommend that WPA2 or that WPA-PSK TKIP-AES 256 bit which currently represent the most secure encryption standards. Instead, avoid the WEP that is now obsolete and easily attacked by cybercriminals.
For more information, please refer to the TIM website, where you will find the complete list of modems / routers supplied by the operator and all the instructions necessary for their configuration (in the left sidebar).
Going into more detail, to find out the instructions needed to set the password, you must select the your router model from the left sidebar, you have to click on the item Wi-Fi network management which is located at the bottom and you have to follow the instructions related to the change of Wi-Fi security mode and change the Wi-Fi password on the page that opens.
Change Telecom modem access password
As mentioned above, it is important to have one password to access the router sturdy and hard to guess. If you haven't set a strong enough password and / or left the default access combination (admin / admin or admin / password) active, take five minutes of free time and run for cover. In this way you will avoid that someone, having access to your wireless network and / or your PC, can change the settings of the router.
To change the login password of one Sercomm Smart Modem, go to the menu Settings> Password and fill out the form on the page that opens. If you have one instead Technicolor Smart Modem, click on the item Administrator located at the top right, select the option Profile settings from the menu that appears and change the router access password by filling in the appropriate fields.
The procedure is very simple to follow also on Fibra TEAM modem e ADSL2 + Wi-Fi N DA2210: just go to the tab with the basic settings device, scroll to Local Access and fill in the fields relating to the password to access the router management panel. Up ADSL2 + Wi-Fi N e ADSL2 + Wi-Fi N Technicolor instead you have to select the page Access from the menu on the right, the item must be checked Activate and you must type the password to be used for modem protection in the appropriate text fields.
If any of the steps are not clear to you, connect to the TIM website, choose your router model from the left sidebar and click on the item Password setting which is located below to get all the instructions you need.
If you need information on how to open the doors in the Telecom router, how to change the radio channel used by the Wi-Fi network and, more generally, you want a hand to manage Telecom modems, consult the guide I dedicated to the topic.
Alternatively, if you prefer, connected to the TIM website, select the router model in your possession from the left sidebar and download the manual device or choose one of the support items listed below, for example Port Mapping Configuration for opening doors o Manage USB and Media Server for configuring USB ports and sharing multimedia content.
If, on the other hand, you have specific doubts about your modem and / or want to report its malfunctions, I invite you to contact TIM in the manner indicated in my tutorial on how to speak to a TIM operator. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to get help, both over the phone and via social networks. You just have to choose the one that best suits your needs and take advantage of it by following my instructions.How to change WiFi Telecom password