Change the modem's Wi-Fi network password
If you want to change the modem password by acting on the Wi-Fi network generated by it, the first step you need to take is to open your favorite Web browser and connect to the modem's IP address by typing the latter in the address bar and then pressing the button Submit of the keyboard.
To find out the exact IP of the modem you have, try to take a look on the back of the device or on the side, you should find us label with the address written on it. If not, you can try taking a look at the User Manual of the router present in the sales package of the same.
Note that the modem's IP address is generally 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.254. Unfortunately I cannot be too specific in my directions as I am not aware of the exact model of modem you have. In any case, do not worry, I will try to be as helpful as possible.
If the IP address of the modem is not indicated either on a possible label stuck on the device itself or on the user manual, do not worry, you can locate it directly from the computer by proceeding as indicated below (for more details, see my tutorial on how to enter in the router).
- If you use a Windows PC, type cmd in the search field accessible by clicking on the button Home on the taskbar or in the appropriate field accessible from the top right of the Start Screen. Then press Submit to start the program that has been selected automatically. In the window that will open at this point, type the command ipconfig and then press the button Submit on your PC keyboard to get the complete list of addresses related to your connection. You will find the IP address of the modem next to the entry Default gateway.
- If you are using a Mac, click the icon of System preference (you can find the icon on the Dock, in the folder Applications or you can access it using the Launchpad) and presses on the voice Network. In the window that will be shown to you at this point, select the name of the connection in use, click on the button Go ahead ... which is located at the bottom right and then presses on the card TCP / IP. You will find the address you need to connect to indicated next to the wording Router.
After having entered the IP address in the web browser bar and after pressing the button Submit on the keyboard you should finally be able to access the modem.
If you are asked to type in a username and password, please note that usually the combination to use is admin / admin o admin / password but sometimes you have to use other settings. If so, you can take a further look at the modem user manual to find out the correct combination to use. If you have difficulty identifying your modem username and password, you can consult my tutorial on how to see the modem password.
Once logged in, go to the section of the panel dedicated to wireless network configuration and look for the field for changing the key WEP / WPA. Now set the type of key to be used on the modem on WPA2-AES or on WPA-PSK and type in the password you want to use to protect your Wi-Fi network.
Personally, I suggest you set a password of at least 20 characters consisting of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters in such a way as to be difficult to identify by third parties. I also suggest you write it down and keep it in a safe place so that you can use it without problems when you need it.
To save the changes made, click on the button Apply or on the button Save. After confirming the application of the changes made, in some cases the modem may restart automatically.
Now that you have finally managed to change the password to the modem, to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi all you have to do is replace the password saved on your computer, smartphone or tablet to surf the net with the new one. To find out how, follow the instructions below.
- If you use a Windows PC, click on the network icon in the notification area (next to the clock), select the network generated by your router and press the button Connect. Then type the password you previously set for the connection in the field Chiave di Sicurezza and click on OK to establish the connection.
- If you are using a Mac, on the network icon located in the upper right part of the menu bar, click on the name of the network generated by your router and enter the previously chosen password in order to establish the connection.
- If you use a smartphone or tablet, go to the device settings, tap on the item Wi-Fi, select the name of the network you intend to connect to, type the previously chosen password in the appropriate field visible on the screen and f
- press the button to establish the connection.
By default, the passwords for Wi-Fi connections are saved on computers, smartphones and tablets and you can automatically connect to them when the signal level allows. So do not worry, once you have completed the procedure to change the modem password by going to act on the wireless network and once you have entered the new access key chosen on all your devices you will no longer have to repeat the procedure just seen whenever you want. connect to the Internet.
Change the modem control panel password
If you want to change the modem password by acting on the combination by which you can access the device configuration panel, the first thing you need to do is log in to the device.
Then open your favorite browser and connect to the address 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.254 to access the router control panel. If you encounter problems you can follow the instructions already indicated in the previous lines. Once the access screen to the modem configuration panel is displayed, enter the required access data and then press the button Submit on your computer keyboard.
Once logged in, bearing in the section relating to user management or in that for the maintenance or administration then select the option through which you can change the password to the modem.
Now fill in the fields displayed on the screen by typing the old password first and then the new one, then press the button OK, Apply, Save or Change Password. Please note that after confirming the application of the changes made in some cases the modem may restart automatically. If this should happen, do not worry, everything is in the norm.
At this point I can not help but tell you: congratulations, following my instructions you have finally managed to change the password to the modem. Keep in mind that from now on, to be able to access the control panel of your modem you will need to use, together with the username, the password you have chosen and no longer the one set by default.How to change the modem password